The Freedom of Information Act (5 U.S.C. § 552) allows members of the public to obtain a wide range of information from agencies of the federal government, including the Department of the Navy (DON) and the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS).
In the Department of the Navy, FOIA is addressed in Secretary of the Navy Instruction 5720.42F, "Department of the Navy Freedom of Information Act Program" (SECNAVINST 5720.42F).
For additional information on FOIA and the Privacy Act, refer to the Department of the Navy's "FOIA Online" prepared by the Navy Office of General Counsel. If you are unfamiliar with the FOIA process, it is highly recommended that you visit FOIA Online. It will provide you with a comprehensive overview of the FOIA process as well as related web links.
Navy Reading Room
Preparing a FOIA request:
If you are seeking information pertaining to yourself, please follow the guidance offered under Privacy Act Requests.
FOIA requests made to NCIS should relate only to those matters or issues which directly involve the organization and its mission, which includes:
- Criminal investigations
- Navy Security Programs
All FOIA requests must be made in writing. Here are a few recommendations that will assist you in making your request:
- Label your request "FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT REQUEST," on the request and also on the envelope.
- Describe the specific record(s) you are seeking with enough detail so that a knowledgeable agency official may locate the record(s) with a reasonable amount of effort. Such detail should include descriptive information, timeframe to be searched, full names, and any other pertinent information that may assist in identifying the subject of the request.
- State your willingness to pay all fees or those up to a specified amount or provide a justification to support a fee waiver.
- Be sure to include your name, address (including zip code) and telephone number.
Where To Send Your Request
FOIA requests may be mailed, e-mailed or faxed to the following:
Naval Criminal Investigative Service
ATTN: 00LJF FOIA
27130 Telegraph Road
Quantico, VA 22134-2253
Contact FOIA Staff
Additional questions on FOIA process and status of requests may be sent to e-mail address listed above or call:
(571) 305-9092 (voicemail checked daily)